We all want our children to look and feel their best. Well, physical activity does just that! Physical aivity builds a rock solid foundation for a child's healthy life. Physical activity has many benefits, and if you join in on the fun, it isn't just for the kids, it's for the parents too! Physical activity can:
- Increase self-esteem and capacity for learning.
- Help kids handle stress.
- Build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints.
- Help control weight
- And most importantly...it can help reduce the risk factors for many conditions..including; diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and obesity.
Time together is time that's treasured.
Different Seasons come with different activities! Click each season for our go to seasonal fun!
Go sledding or build a snowman.
Play whiffle ball or fly a kite.
Run through the sprinkler or jump rope
Play Frisbee golf or hike through a pumpkin patch.
Try something new! Sometimes the same old activities can feel like a drag, get creative with your activities! Do you generally ride your bikes as a family? Try taking a hike instead! Are fresh berries in season? Go berry picking! The possibilities are endless. Homework hack- during the nice spring and fall weather while our kids are in school, turn their homework into a walk and learn! Take a walk after dinner to help digest and ask them to explain one thing they learned at school today. Nothing to say? Start quizzing them on spelling homework, or multiplication problems!
WEBSITES WITH HELPFUL INFORMATION
Choose My Plate
CDC BMI Calculator
REMEMBER, PARENTS ARE THE BEST ROLE MODELS FOR BOTH INSPIRING AN ACTIVE LIFESTYLE AND HEALTHY HABITS. WE PASS ON THE HABITS WE TEACH, SO TEACH YOUR CHILDREN PROPER DIET AND THAT BEING ACTIVE IS FUN!
- Tips for eating healthy and portion control! Plus tips for all ages, picky eaters, teens and adults.
- Body Mass Index is a number calculated from a person's weight and height and is considered an indicator for body fatness.
- Calculate BMI for yourself and your child here; learn about BMI, and more!
- Looking for ways to get active? Our local area Glens Falls YMCA offers many great activities for members of all ages!
- The Strong Kids program offers financial aid to families to offer an equal opportunity for area residents.
- Offers ways to enhance children's activity and nutrition and is sponsored by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. This is a program for families and communities to help children maintain a healthy weight and focuses on three behaviors: improved food choices, increased physical activity and reduced screen time.
- The KidsHealth web site provides doctor-approved health information about children. KidsHealth has separate areas for young children, teenagers and parents offering in-depth features, articles, animations, games and other resources.