Skip to main content

Social Services FAQ

What do I need to bring with me when I apply for assistance?

When you apply for public assistance you will be asked to provide proof or verification of several identification factors. They include:

  • Identity (one form of photo ID if available, otherwise 2 forms of non-photo ID - For example, notarized statements from people who can identify you).
  • Age
  • Social Security Number
  • Citizenship and Marital Status
How can I find out if I might be eligible for SNAP?

Our new pre-screening tool will tell you whether you might be eligible for SNAP, and how much you might be eligible to receive, so you can see whether it would be worth your while to go to the local food stamp office and apply.

The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance website provides detailed information about the Food Stamp (FS) Program.

How do I find a place to live?

Look in the newspapers, go on the Internet, search community bulletin boards, ask friends.

If I have no place to stay and need emergency housing, where can I go?

You may apply for assistance at Warren County Social Services Building Your situation will be evaluated and a decision made on your eligibility.

What if I'm not literally homeless, but I'm not living in a good situation or if things are so bad at home that it feels like there could be a major blow up at any minute. As a minor, is there any place I can go?

Stay with a friend temporarily and attempt counseling. Resources available to you depend on your age. Call the Department of Social Services at 518-761-6300 to discuss your needs.

I can barely afford rent. Is there any place I can go to get help with a security deposit?

You may apply for assistance at the Warren County Social Services Building. Your situation will be evaluated and a decision made on your eligibility.

I haven't been able to pay my rent and my landlord is threatening to evict me. Can he do this?


Is there any place that can help me if I'm about to be evicted for nonpayment of rent?

You may apply for assistance at the Warren County Department of Social Services Building. Each situation will be evaluated on an individual basis.

I've heard that if an adult takes me (a minor) in, they might be able to get some financial assistance through the Department of Social Services. Is that true? If so, how would they get it?

It may be true, depending on the situation. They or you would need to come in and file an application.

I am in need of financial assistance to pay my heating bills. Where can I get information on this?

The Department of Social Services administers H.E.A.P.- Home Energy Assistance Program - a federally funded seasonal program intended to assist low-income households in meeting their energy expenses. Call Warren County HEAP Department at 518-761-6338

How do I know if I am eligible for Family Health Plus, Child Health Plus or Medicaid?

The Medicaid eligibility worker at the Department of Social Services will determine if you are eligible for any Medicaid program including the FPBP. Be sure to notify your interviewer at Social Services if you need the application to remain confidential and designate an alternate mailing address if you don't want correspondence to go to your home address.

How do I report fraud?

Please see our Fraud section if you suspect someone is abusing Medicaid or another public assistance program.