Assessment and Tax Collection Calendar
Real Property Tax Law states that the failure to receive a tax bill shall not, in any way, affect the validity of the taxes or interest. Please contact the tax collector immediately if you do not receive your tax bill. New purchasers of property are advised to contact the school and municipal tax collectors to assure timely billing.
- July 1st – assessments become Final - used as the basis for taxes for the coming year.
- July thru April - Assessor inspects properties for changes that may affect value, such as additions, renovations or demolitions. Taxpayers are urged to contact the Assessor any time during the year to review data for their property and to discuss the valuation process.
- September 1st – most school district’s tax bills are mailed with 30 day interest free period.
- November – final day (varies per school district) for school collector to accept taxes – after this date school taxes plus penalty are added to the January tax bill.
- January 1st – most municipal tax bills mailed with 30 day interest free payment period.
- March 1st – Taxable Status Date – the deadline for all exemptions (new or renewals) to be filed with the Assessor. Property improvement status and condition, as of this date, will be the basis for the coming assessment cycle.
- April 1st – All oustanding taxes become county liens and must be paid to the county Treasurer.
- April 15th – (from July 1st to this date) the Assessor determines the values for this year’s Tentative Assessment Roll.
- May 1st – Tentative Assessment Roll is filed containing all values and exemptions for the next tax year. Change of assessment notices are mailed.
- 4th Tuesday in May – Grievance Day - when the Board of Assessment Review meets to hear all taxpayers complaints regarding assessments.
- July 1st – Final Assessment Roll filed and annual cycle begins again.