The Information Technology Department helps the County purchase, maintain, administer, program and troubleshoot the technology that helps the County succeed. Specifically, the work includes:
- Purchasing and installing the County's computer hardware and software, striving to acquire aggresive pricing and to standardize the installed base of technology.
- Installing, administering, maintaining, and troubleshooting the County's computer network and servers, to keep the County "up and running".
- Installing and maintaining the technology infrastructure including cabling, routers and switches.
- Updating and repairing the County's PC's, laptops and peripherals.
- Maintaining the e-mail system.
- Creating and maintaining a large installed base of custom programmed software application systems.
- Serving as the County's technology Help Desk for computer issues.
- Protecting the County's network from viruses, hacking and other abuse by implementing and maintaining appropriate firewalls and security software.
- Helping the County staff in choosing, installing and using the County's packaged application systems.
- Maintaining Internet access for the County.
- Educating the County staff on computer and software operation.
- Maintaining the County and Tourism web sites.
- Performing Disaster Recovery tasks including backup of servers.
- Working as technology consultants and business analysts for the County department heads and staff as they strive to function in an effective and efficient manner.