Frequently Asked Questions
This section contains a list of frequently asked questions, sorted by category. Simply select your category, and you will be presented with a list of questions that are commonly asked. Click on the question to view the answer!
- Assistance Programs
- What is HEAP?
- HEAP stands for Home Energy Assistance Program, and is a federally funded seasonal energy assistance program. HEAP provides aid to people who need assistance paying their electric bills. For more information, you can go to the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance web site.
- Who can I call for HEAP?
- Non-senior citizens looking to apply or looking for information about HEAP should call the Department of Social Services at (518)761-6339. Senior citizens should contact the Office for the Aging at (518)761-6347. For more information, you can go to the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance web site.
- Where can I find information about food stamps?
- For information about Food Stamps, please call the Department of Social Services at (518)761-6340.
- Where can I find information about care for the aging?
- Due to the large variety of services provided by Warren County, there are several places you can go to get information of this kind. You can start at the Westmount Health Facility, Office For The Aging, and Countryside Adult Home web sites. You can also find contact information for these agencies in our phone list.
- When are the immunization clinics?
- There are immunization clinics on the second Thursday of every month here at the Municipal Center in the Public Health Office. On the Public Health web site, a complete list of clinics and clinic details is available.
- What is the contact information for the Social Security Administration?
Phone: 1-800-772-1213 or (518) 812-0182
Address: 17 Cronin Road, Queensbury NY 12804
- When Should I Use The Prescription Discount Card?
- You should use your Prescription Discount Card if you are uninsured, or if your prescription is not covered by your insurance.
- Where/How Can I Use The Prescription Discount Card?
The Prescription Discount Card can be used at any pharmacy within Warren County. To find participating pharmacies outside of Warren County, please visit the Pharmacy Locator and enter in the information on the back of your card.
To use the card, simply present your Prescription Discount Card with your new prescription or refill.
- Can My Prescription Discount Card Be Used For Pet Prescriptions?
- You can use your Prescription Discount Card on prescriptions for pets that are for human consumable drugs. You will have to take the prescription from your veterinarian to a participating pharmacy, and fill the prescription there.
- Where Can I Get a Prescription Discount Card?
- You should receive your card in the mail. Additional cards are available at participating pharmacies and the Warren County Board of Supervisors.
- Where Can I Ask More Questions About The Prescription Discount Card?
- Please direct any questions you might have to the ProAct helpdesk at 1-877-776-2285.
- Court and Legal Information
- What are the official publications for Warren County legal notices?
The official publications for legal notices are as follows:
The Post Star, PO Box 2157, Glens Falls NY 12801
North Creek News Enterprise, PO Box 85, North Creek, NY 12853
- What are the official publications for Warren County LLCs designated by the Warren County Clerk?
The official publications for limited liability corporations, designated by the County Clerk, are as follows:
Daily: The Post Star, PO Box 2157, Glens Falls NY 12801
Weekly: North Creek News Enterprise, PO Box 85, North Creek, NY 12853
- Where do I pay court fees?
Bail - Warren County Sheriff's Office (1400 State Rt. 9)
Fines - Warren County Treasurer (Warren County Municipal Building)
Surcharge - Warren County Clerk (Warren County Municipal Building)
- Where can I find information on a ticket I received?
- Town courts are responsible for tickets. To find the phone number of your local town court, please see our phone directory.
- I am interested in taking someone to court. Where do I go?
- To take this kind of legal action, you must go to the court in the town the offending party resides in. The clerk of that town will be able to tell you the location of the court, as well as hours. To find the phone number of the Town Clerk or the court, please see the phone directory.
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Where can I go to renew my drivers' license?
You can renew your drivers' licence at the Warren County DMV, either by visiting or mailing your transaction.
When you pay fees at the Warren County DMV, 12.7% of the transaction fee is retained by the county; revenue that helps pay for county services that benefit you.
The Warren County DMV is located at the Warren County Municipal Center. We have provided a drop box for your convenience, if you have a prepared transaction. The drop box is available during normal business hours.
If you are mailing in your transaction, the address is as follows:
1340 State Route 9
Lake George, NY 12845
- When is the DMV open?
- The Warren County DMV is open Monday thru Friday, 8:15 AM to 4:30 PM, except for holidays.
- Where can I go to ask other questions about the DMV?
- General Information
- I am having an animal problem - who should I call?
- Please call the Animal Control Officer of your town; they are responsible for animal-related issues, like stray cats and dogs as well as removing dangerous animals. You can find the phone number for your town's Animal Control Officer in our phone directory.
- Where can I find a phone number for someone in Warren County Government?
- We have a directory on our web site that lists all of the publically available phone numbers of county agencies or employees. If you are looking for a phone number, you should search the phone directory.
- Where can I obtain vendor and purchasing guidelines for bids, quotes and RFPs?
- Guidelines for bids, quotes and RFPs can be obtained from the Warren County Purchasing Department; to contact them, please see our phone directory.
- Where are the farmers' markets in Warren County?
- A list of local farmers' markets can be found at the Farmers' Market Federation of New York web site.
- When are the farmers' markets open?
- The hours of local farmers' markets can be found at the Farmers' Market Federation of New York web site.
- Where can I go for legal help concerning divorce and child support?
- Contact the Legal Aid Society at (518)587-5188.
- Local Organizations/Government
- Where can I find local Chambers of Commerce?
- Our tourism department has a comprehensive list of the Chambers of Commerce in the Warren County area. To view this list, please see VisitLakeGeorge.com.
- Where can I find info. about state/federal/town organizations?
- We have a list of online resources on our Government page.
- How can I contact local government/organizations?
- You can find contact information for various government entities and organizations on our phone page, and email Warren County using our contact page.
- Where are official County notices posted?
- Official County Notices are posted on bulletin boards located in the main and DMV entrances of the Municipal Building, and are also published. To find a list of official publications, please see frequently asked question "What are the official publications for Warren County legal notices?" under the "Court and Legal Information" section.
- What are the dates for the monthly Board of Supervisors meetings?
- We have the dates for the Board of Supervisors meetings posted on the web site.
- How can I contact the Better Business Bureau?
- While there is no Better Business Bureau in Warren County, there is one in Rochester that covers our area. You can reach them at 1-716-856-7180. Also, you can contact the NYS Attorney General for consumer complaints by calling 518-474-5481, or 1-800-771-7755 or by filling out a online form.
- How can I contact Warren County Head Start?
- You can contact the Head Start Administrative Office at (518) 798-7555.
- Where can I find Warren County Surplus Sales?
- The Warren County Surplus Sale is hosted on eBay, but you can find information and listings on the Warren County Purchasing department web site.
- Property and Renting
- How can I find the assessed value of a piece of property?
- Please contact the assessor for the town the property is located in; you can find the phone number for the town assessor in our phone directory. If your town assessor cannot be of assistance, you can contact Real Property.
- Who has assessment rolls?
- If you live in Bolton, Lake George, or Lake Luzerne, your assessment rolls are on the Real Property Tax Services web site. If you live in another town, please contact your town or city assessor; you can find their phone number in our phone directory.
- Where can I go for legal help with landlord, tenant, estate, or real property problems and disputes?
- Contact the Legal Aid Society at (518)587-5188.
- Where can I apply for an E911 Address for my property?
- Warren County has a online application where you can request an E911 address.
- Records and Documents
- Where can I get a passport or a passport application?
- The Warren County Clerk's Office is an official passport acceptance agent. Forms, photos and information are available from the County Clerk's Office, in the Municipal Center. You can also call them: their phone number is listed in our phone directory.
- Where can I find genealogy information about my family?
The Warren County Records Center stores historical documents and may be able to help you find information about your family.
Also, the Warren County Historian may be able to assist you in your genealogical search; you can find their phone number in the phone directory.
- Where can I find old immunization records?
- While the immunization records may be stored in our Records Center, you still have to contact the Public Health department to retrieve them. You can find their phone number in our phone directory.
- Where can I find historical maps or documents?
- The Warren County Records Center stores historical documents, many of them on their web site.
- How can I get a new marriage license?
- You must apply for a marriage license at the town level, with your town clerk. The phone number of your town clerk is listed in our phone directory.
- Where can I obtain a copy of birth/marriage/death certificates?
- These records are kept in the town in which the event occurred. To obtain a copy of these documents, you can contact the clerk of that town. If it is in Warren County, the phone number of the town clerk will be listed in our phone directory.
- Where can I get a copy of my deed?
- Contact the Warren County Clerk's Office - Public Records Room. The office staff can assist you in locating the correct deed book and page. A public copier is available for $0.65 cents per page. To contact the Clerk's Office, please see the phone directory.
- Where can I get a hunting/fishing license?
- Contact your town or city Clerk; for their phone number, please see the phone directory.
- Where can I get a building permit?
- Contact Building Code Enforcement. Their phone number can be found in the phone directory.
- Where can I get a pistol permit?
- The Warren County Clerk's Office - Pistol Permits Services handles applications for Pistol Permits. Applicants must be at least 21 years old, and must have been a resident of Warren County for at least one year. The Pistol Permits Services phone number can be found in the phone directory.
- Sheriff Information
- How can I find information about the Warren County Sheriff's Office and their services?
- To find out about the Warren County Sheriff's Office, you can visit the Sheriff's web site or contact them at (518) 743-2500.
- How do I evict someone from my rental property?
- Contact the Sheriff's Civil Office for information on New York State laws that apply to evicting someone from rental properties. They can be reached by calling (518)743-2500 and selecting the the option for the Civil Office.
- Who can I get to serve legal papers for me?
- The Sheriff Office is required by law to maintain an office that is responsible for the service of legal process and mandates. They are statutory fees for service. For additional information, call the Sheriff's Civil Office at 743-2500 and select the option for Civil Office.
- What are the visiting hours for the Warren County Correctional Facility?
- Current visiting hours are available on a telephone recording. Call 743-2500 and select the option for the Correction Division.
- How can I get money or other property to an inmate in the correctional facility?
- Current information on when and where items are accepted for inmates is on a telephone recording. Call 743-2500 and select the option for the Correction Division.
- Where can I get a copy of an accident report or a crime report?
- Accident reports are generally available 5 days after the accident. You may pick up a copy of any report at no charge by going to the Sheriff's Office at 1400 State Route 9 in Queensbury. Go to the window in the lobby labeled Central Records. You may also get an accident reports emailed to you by calling 743-2500 and selecting the option for Central Records. We do not fax reports to long distance telephone numbers and we do not email crime reports.
- What is the email address for the Sheriff's Office?
- The general email address for the Sheriff's Office is email@example.com.
- How do I report a crime in Warren County?
- To report criminal activity you may call (518)743-2500 and select the option for police services. If you want to a make an anonymous tip about criminal activity, you may call (518)761-9800 and leave your message on a secure voice mail.
- What is the mailing address for the Sheriff's Office?
- Our address for all divisions is Warren County Sheriff's Office, 1400 State Route 9, Lake George, New York 12845.
- What is the telephone number for the Sheriff's Office?
- The main telephone number is (518) 743-2500, but you should always dial 911 in case of an emergency. When you call there are 9 options on the first menu. They are: 1 for police, fire and ambulance services; 2 for the Correction Division; 3 for the Civil Office; 4 for Central Records; 5 for the Accounting Office; 6 for Investigative Services; 7 for the Computer Technology Unit; 8 for Building Maintenance; and 9 for the Sheriff's Administration Office.
- How can I get notified if any inmate is released from the Correctional Facility?
- Both State and County correctional facilities in New York State participate in a statewide victim notification system. Warren County is a active participant. For additional information, call toll free 1-888-846-3469.
- Who actually answers the telephone when I dial 911 in Warren County?
- All 911 calls from wire line and wireless (cellular) telephones in Warren County are directed to your local PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point). In Warren County, the Sheriff's Office is the designated PSAP, and operates the emergency 911 communications center. When you dial 911 you are being directed into the Warren County Sheriff's Office Emergency Communications Center. The men and women that answer your call are employees of the Sheriff's Office. You may call this same office for non-emergencies by dialing (518)743-2500 and selecting the first option for police, fire or ambulance services and requests for information.
- What is the internal organization and structure of the Sheriff's Office?
The Sheriff, Bud York, is the elected head of the Sheriff's Office. He has three divisions that each operate under the direction of a Division Commander. The three Division Commanders answer directly to the Sheriff. They are over 200 employees in the office. The Division Commanders are:
Robert Swan, Undersheriff, in charge of the Law Enforcement Division which include Communications.
Shane Ross, Chief Deputy, in charge of the Administrative Division.
Mike Gates, Corrections Captain, in charge of the Corrections Division.
- What is my county tax rate?
- Our Real Property department takes care of inquiries regarding tax rates and related matters. If you have any questions about your tax rate, you can contact Real Property. If you would like to call them, their phone number is listed in our phone directory.
- Where can I find information and forms concerning the occupancy tax?
- The Warren County web site has a page dedicated to occupancy tax information where you can download information and forms.
- How do I apply for occupancy tax event/convention funds?
- You can find information related to the Occupancy Tax program on the Occupancy Tax page.
- Where do I pay my taxes?
- After April 1st, you pay your taxes at the County Treasurers. To contact the County Treasurers, please see the phone directory.
- I have other questions about my taxes. Who can I ask?
- For tax questions and information, please contact the County Treasurers. If you would like to call them, their phone number is listed in our phone directory.
- What is the Warren County sales tax, and what percentage goes to the state of New York?
- Warren County has a sales tax of 7%: out of that 7%, 3% goes to the county, and 4% goes to the state.